Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mood Swings


I don't understand the point of alignment in Mutant Future. It seems to me that that every character should pretty much be concerned with self preservation in a world ravaged by the apocalypse. Their actions should be dictated by choices made in the moment and not some arbitrary moral barometer. If your character sees that they benefit from helping the group then they would do something that would be "Lawful", if they don't see anything beneficial from a situation they might remain "Neutral", and if they think someone is trying to screw them over they might perform an action which would be considered "Chaotic". I can somewhat see the purpose of alignment in a fantasy RPG which deals with such classes as clerics, paladins, or necromancers. However, in a game like Mutant Future I do not really see that it works.

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree. I think it was included just to adhere as close as possible to the Labyrinth Lord chassis.

    And despite my agreement, I maintain the tradition on my own monster entries, just because it's convenient (lazy?) shorthand for getting a beastie's temperament across.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using it for descriptions of enemies, NPCs, creatures, etc. makes sense to me because they are different type of entity altogether from player characters. Even then, I think it should be just a notation of their normal inclination. Players should not tied to certain mindset, though. Especially in a long term campaign where various events may require them to react in certain ways and the player is evolving the persona of the character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In this world everyone does what they need to in order to survive. We all "make our murky accomodations with power and... hawk justice like cabbage in the markets".

    Alignment is for those times when your life isn't on the line.

    ReplyDelete